Re: [VAC] CATALYST HEATERS

Hi Toby,

The answer to question number 1 is at least two questions. What will be the coldest temperature that
you might experience? What idiosyncracies do you have about how much clothing you are willing to
wear during the day just to stay warm and what type of blankets/sleeping bag arrangements are
acceptable for you to use while sleeping? There are people who MUST use sheets and blankets and
nothing else will do, as there are people who MUST use sleeping bags and nothing else will do, as
there are people who will use whatever makes sense to them at the time.

Having said that, we chose the largest catalytic heater sold (6100BTU at the time) and crank it up
on the basis of how cold it is outside. There are settings. It's not full blast or nothing. This
size is sufficient for us in our 22' Safari when outside temperatures are down to 28 degrees at
night and above freezing during the daytime. When those situations occur (sometimes unexpectedly),
we break out the maps, point south and skedaddle to a warmer climate.

As for which brand is best. There are only a limited number of manufacturers and again, the features
you decide are important to you can differ from owner to owner. It's your call. We've never felt the
need for an oxygen depletion sensor, but you might.

The other factor for us is philosophical. I want all of my equipment to have a large cushion of
reserve heating capacity for any situation I might encounter (a la Tim Allen). The reason for that
is sometimes my enthusiasm runs a bit wider than dull, boring, common sense would consider prudent.

All of this is FYI only. The only real answer is how you figure it out for your needs and your
style.

Terry