Re: [VAC] Park model?

I was also told when I bought my '62 24' that it was a "park model," meaning
it had only the small blue wheeled holding tank and was meant for use in
trailer parks with hookups, not for extended periods as a self-contained
unit.  The toilet dumps straight through the floor, there is a small box
there for maybe overnight holding but not several days worth of night soil.
(On the various systems layout drawings I see various sizes of holding tanks
underneath the bathroom, from a small box just under the toilet, which mine
has, to a larger box underneath the whole bathroom area, which I presume is
the blackwater tank that holds several days' worth including shower water.)
A battery box has been added but the electricity really only works when it's
plugged into a 110 circuit.  This trailer sat at Lake Tahoe as someone's
"hunting lodge" for many years, the second owners took it on trips but lost
their storage space, and I am the third owner.  I would like to get it
fitted out for traveling but first have been addressing issues like pipe
leaks etc.  I am sure I don't know everything there is to know even just
about my one A/S, but thanks to this list I have been able to learn a lot
more than I would have otherwise.

The product literature I got with my A/S describes the "standard model" with
110v wiring, copper water lines with "easily accessible input connection,
and regulation drainage outlet."  Then it describes the "Land Yacht" series
for "if you plan to spend time away from the beaten path," with 12 volt
system in addition to 110v wiring, pressure water system with tank and 12v
compressor, butane gas fridge, marine toilet and the "Airstream Sanitator to
provide toilet conveniences away from a sewer hookup."  Then there is the
"International Land Yacht" series which adds water purifier, ceiling
ventilator fans, two tanks, police antenna, exterior flood light and deluxe
hubcaps.  Maybe the standard models are what eventually became known as the
"park" models?  The price list I have for 1961 models describes the
"convenience group," "self-containment group", "deluxe group" and "road
group," all with different combinations of tanks, appliances, etc.  So there
is yet another set of possible model names that might have been easier to
call "park model."

The confusing thing is that on the outside of mine it has a metal plaque
describing it as a "Land Yacht."  The price list for 1961 models indicates
you could pretty much choose any feature or combination of features you
wanted, including things like bedspreads, air conditioner, TV antenna, extra
gas bottles, things that are described in the various models above.  So
maybe people who did not opt for the 12v system, or who added the pressure
water system but not the larger blackwater holding tanks, etc., just got
into the habit of calling their a "park model."  Language is a slippery
thing after all!

I am sure this does not answer all the questions but just thought I'd throw
in a little more info to further confuse things.

--Sarah