Re: [VAC] Before I reinact the Hindenburg using an A/S....

Chris,
 On problem number 1: I'd ask if the pilot will stay lit when the valve
is set to "Pilot" position (not "On"). If it does, but the problem
appears after the main flame lights, I'd suspect that the pilot is being
moved from the thermocouple by the main flame. Maybe it goes out when
the main flame lights. Whatever, something is causing the thermocouple
to go 'cold' when the main burner is operating. If the pilot will not
stay lit under any circumstance, the thermocouple could be bad or have a
poor connection. Or, it could be mislocated a bit so as to not be heated
properly by the pilot. Replacement thermocouples are available at your
local hardware store.

Number 2: your gas valve is probably leaking while it's supposed to be
'off'. You get the "Pop!" because gas is being bled into the chamber
slowly, not fast enough for the pilot to light it quickly. As you
surmise, this is really a bit dangerous and should be fixed ASAP if
you're to use your furnace. The gas valve can be replaced, or
disassembled and cleaned. I'd bet on a small piece of crud in the
seating surface(s) of the valve.

Note: propane leaks can be dangerous. After working on any part of your
system, you should brush soapy water on all the connections in your work
area to check for leaks under pressure.

                                            Jim