Re: [VAC] porta-potty -vs- holding tank

Bob,
 You need to spend a week with my buddy, pumping septic tanks, to get
rid of your squeamishness RE: poop. <>

From what I've seen (my wife had a P.P. in her horse trailer years ago),
you're much more likely to make a mess by trying to dump it while in the
trailer. They're designed to be a sealed unit, almost like a suitcase,
when the top is seperated. You should be able to 'pop the top' and carry
the suitcase to a suitable dumping area without getting anything on you.
Your care in dumping will determine if you get splashed while in that
act.

Like anything else, Practice Makes Perfect. When you get that brand-new
Porta Pottie, fill the tank, run it into the base, seperate the two, and
carry the base to the dumping point and empty it. Do this 2 or 3 times
and you should have a pretty good feel for the operation and any
mistakes will result in spilling only water on yourself and your
surroundings.

Trust me, you'll get 'it' on your hands, shoes, and clothes when dumping
your conventional holding tanks. Later, if not sooner. Trust me again:
it ain't gonna kill you. Be sensible and wash your hands, of course, but
it isn't nearly as bad as stepping in a pile of dog poop in your yard.
(at least that from MY dog!)

Your only real alternative is to always use public facilities at the
campground, having restricted yourself to camping only where there ARE
public facilities.

                                          Jim