RE: Re: [VAC] Replacing Glass window with Lexan

Tim,
     I replaced my left front wing window with Lexan Sunday afternoon. Went to Home Depot and picked up a standard 1/8th thick pice as it pretty well matched the Corning glass thickness. My unit was brought to me from Houston, TX and a rock found its way through a hole in the rock guard and shattered the glass. Quotes ranged from $732 plus s&h to $550 plus installation of $185. Replacement took about 3 hours and $20 materials.
     The Lexan should have no trouble at all traveling at highway speeds as far as popping out is concerned. It is in tight.
     If one takes on the repair be very careful with the inside facing as mine was very brittle. Also the window gasket material was hard to locate and I had to reuse my old one. That and a little sealant worked fine.
     The hard part was making the pattern and taking off the splice bar. Lots of wd40 and wood dowels to hammer it with. Tools used were: leather mallett, wooden dowel rod, very fine blade on my scroll saw, screw driver, drill, clear vinyl for pattern, and magic marker.
      If any one wants my rough pattern just email me and I'll send a copy. Some adjustments may have to be made but it is close. It will fit a drivers side wing window on a 1970 International.
      The lexan is gently tapped into place with the leather mallet after dosing the track and seal with wd40. Slid right in.
      I'll be happy to send complete instructions on the process and there is also a past posting on http://www.tompatterson.com/Streamline/Airstreamlist/Correspondence2.html.

Gene