[VAC] bunkroom fabric panels/Insulation?

Hi-de-hi...Can't sleep, so typing what roils around in my head when I am trying to
get some shut eye!
   When re-habbing my 30foot Sovereign/International, I removed these upholstery
covered (a gold tapestry that matched couch and so on) cardboard panels from the
walls of the mid-trailer bunk walls as they were nasty and water-marked from old
window leaks. Did these serve only a decorative function or did they serve also in
a insulation capacity?  The revealed wall is covered with wallcovering and looks
tidy enough...seems like the old stuff also caught moisture and caused mildew too...anyone
with insight or opinion on replacing or letting go of this feature?
  Up-at-Nite-Annie