[VAC] Hot Light Fixture

We went out in our 71 Tradewind this weekend and used the front lights over
the sofa for the first time.  We had them on for a couple of hours and the
entire fixture was too hot to touch. I checked the bulbs and they were the
1383 ( I think that was the number) that the owners manual call for. Has
anyone run across this, is it normal and should I be worried about it?  Just
doesn't seem like a well engineered installation should be so hot.. any
comments?
Thanks
Tim & Cindy
71 Trade Wind
Fairborn, Ohio
p.s. this was the first trip with the equalizer hitch and sway controls
hooked up. Our 1/2 GMC 4X4 with the new 4.8L V-8 pulled it just fine and no
problems with tractor trailers passing us at 70+ MPH on Interstate 70.