RE: [VAC] Vintagett Info Req.: Floor repair

Annie,
    I've got to do the front floor on my '70. The previous owner had tried to
make a piece by just tracing the front wall on something and then to the
plywood. Almost there but problems. In the past I did marine carpeting and
flooring. Here is my approach to make the pattern for the front.
     First the unit is bilateral. Each side is the same connected by a center
straight line. Determine the center point of the floor or wall in this case and
mark it. Place a carpenters square at the center point and come out the depth
that you need with a board or long ruler. Then measure the length from the
center point to the outside wall. Now go to your local fabric store or auto
trim shop and get a piece of scrap vinyl that is at least 1 foot wider and 1
foot longer than you need it. Next grab a marking instrument of some sort.
Dustless chalk works great. If chalk take a pair of scissors and cut an angle
at the tip to sharpen it. Now place a piece of plywood on the supports to work
on. It will need to be at least half the size of the floor. Take the vinyl and
place the carpenters square on the cut edge and selvage edge. Mark and cut a
square edge on the vinyl. Now, plywood on the floor to work on. Place the vinyl
on the floor and square it with the carpenters square and your center point on
the wall. Press the vinyl to the wall and it will curve up at the junction of
the wall and floor. Hold the vinyl with one hand against the wall and mark the
base of the wall on the vinyl with your knees holding the vinyl firmly in place
on the floor to prevent shifting. This can also be taped down to hold the
position correctly. Using the chalk make marks in a brushing movement at the
wall juncture until all is marked. Should just turn out to basically the curve.
Remove the vinyl and cut to shape. Now measure the depth inside the wall frame
that you need and record it. Take the vinyl and lay it on the plywood. (If you
need the space just use half the plywood floor you need and splice the center
seam.) With the vinyl in place square the center point edge with the end piece
of the plywood. Slide your vinyl down the edge the depth recorded, in order to
allow for the cut to go under the wall frame ( Basically a seam allowance).
Take a pencil and a ruler and measure the additional depth at approximate 90*
angles to the pattern every 2-3" . Now connect the dots and you have your
pattern. Cut the plywood. Lay it on top of another piece and outline it. Do not
cut until you have confirmed your pattern. If using a single piece of plywood
then just flop the pattern upside down lining up the center line and repeat
markings. Disadvantage is you can't prove your pattern.
    Once you get the plywood fitted how do you plan on attaching it to the
floor frame if the belly pan is still on. Self tapping screws? Splice? My plan
is to use both so that I won't have to remove the belly pan.

     Hope this helps.
Gene