Re: [VAC] Hello from Iowa

I sort of had the same experience.  Found one leak fixed it, found
another and so on.  Eventually took out all the copper pipe and
replaced it with PEX.  Taking out the old copper wasn't too difficult,
but did require that I tear out most of the tub area to get at the back
side for the shower/tub tap.  I also took this opportunity to build in
a bypass for the hot water heater and, a switching suction point so
that I could change two valves, and hook up a jug of antifreeze for
ease of winterizing.  All in all it was a 2 day job.  One day to
dissassemble the tub, the sink tap fittings (a bit awkward but
accessible) without tearing out anything, the bathroom sink fittings
(accessable from outside the back of the trailer) and the toilet
supply, tear out the copper and run most of the PEX.  Removal of the
copper from some points is somewhat difficult, but cut it apart with a
pipe cutter, pull gently, wiggle and turn to get it out.  Running the
PEX was a breeze in comparison.  The second day to finish running the
PEX, get a few more connectors, and line shutoffs for the bypass and
suction, the crimp rings and rent the crimping tool to crimp on all the
connectors.  It took about 1/2 an hour to crimp on all the connectors
and valves as the complete layout had been done and visually checked
before starting crimping.  By noon I had checked the system for leaks
and was riveting and siliconing the bathroom tub panels back in place.
By early afternoon everything was done.
 It certainly wasn't that difficult but does require some thought as to
how to do it before you start.  Also, be sure to check out how the taps
are connected to the current water supply.  I had to do a bit of
imaginative work there as the bathroom sink tap assembly had been
alterred during installation or at some later point and the proper
connectors on the bottom of the 3/8 tubing had ben removed.  I was
going to buy some threaded brass plugs and solder them on to the tubing
after drilling the proper sized hole when I noticed that the tap itself
would not work.  I went to the local Home Depot and picked up the exact
same tap assembly complete with the proper threaded fittings and saved
myself a bunch of effort.
 Hope this helps.

Rick