Re: [VAC] Dent Removal Blues...

Jon,

Ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dent removal has been attempted several different ways for different types of
dents. Several years ago I received a blow to the left front dome on my 1961
Bambi seven panel. It was big............. it looked ugly.............. I had
even recently polished the unit. I was mad............ I was angry...............
I was a few other things that we won't discuss here in public.   (:

Several questions come to my feeble little mind. First, does the dent have a
sharp crease on the edges? Second is does the dent extend into the frame work?
(Is the frame behind the skin dented?) Is there a sharp crease in the center on
the dent?

My Bambi had none of the above even though it looked very yucko. I was very
fortunately able to pull it out with a auto body suction cup. Took about 15
seconds once I had the cup in hand and was positioned on the ladder. One would
never know that there was even a little dent yet alone a large one there. I was
very pleased with the results. Since then on other units I've successfully used
the suction cup on dents. However there are many types of dents that it won't
touch as well.

Now if you aren't so fortunate you need to look into other methods. Bud Cooper
has taught classes on dent removal. Do you plan on attending this years
International? If so you might want to wait and see him before doing anything.
Basically one method is to get to it from the inside. You need to be careful in
doing this as you don't want to end up with a big mess. If the frame work is bent
as well it could get involved.

You say it's a "soft dent." I would try using a suction cup first to see what
happens. Remember to dampen it so there will be more grip. You can't hurt
anything and there's nothing to lose. Bondo has one available for just several
dollars. Usually you have to order it from an automotive store as they don't
stock them.

Good luck!

Pat