Re: [VAC] Short in Right Turn Signal Line ('67 Caravel)

Other than my usual non-igniting water heater pilot light, I had no
problems w/my '67 Caravel on a trip to Montana... until I gassed up at
Kalispell.

I was surprised at not being able to shift out of park, whether or not
brake was engaged -- my beloved '90 Mazda Van did exactly that last fall
when the tranny began to expire!  Well, I finally checked the fuses,
replaced a blown 10 amp, and it shifted just fine -- until I stopped to
look at a map about 20 miles outside of town, -> same problem w/same
fuse blown.  A visiting repairman at the local Toyota dealer suggested
the Airstream was likely the problem -- probably the brake line.

With that suggestion, I checked into a local campground and began
checking out the source.  With the Airstream unhooked electrically, I
was able to drive to dinner and back w/o any blown fuses.  Studying the
Toyota list of items on that fuse, the right turn signal... I had
signalled a right turn each time the fuse blew.

Being by myself, I could not really see trailer brake lights (still too
light out), but putting on the brakes w/Airstream reconnected did not
blow any fuses... but the right turn signal did!  I hopefully replaced
both rear bulbs (both of which looked OK) --> no help.  Left turn signal
--> OK, Right turn signal --> both signal lights!
(Did not blow a fuse <- perhaps requires both right turn signal and
brake).

The electric cable for connecting to tow vehicle looks OEQ... the outer
insulation has worn thru at the hole where it emerges from the A-Frame
-- but not worn through the 2nd layer of insulation.  The exposed wires
at front of A-frame all looked good (brake safety release, power front
jack -- neither new, but look OK).
The only thing different I can figure is welding on the A-frame to
install a spare tire carrier.  Has anyone experienced electric shorts
after such a procedure?

I could not find anyway to further check the wiring (fuse box OK) as
there is no other exposed cable in the '67 Caravel.  As a temp.
solution, I disconnected the Brown wire to the Right Trailer light -->
no more blown fuses.

Where do I go from here?

Huff