Re: [VAC] Tandom vs. single axle

I've been told that the tandem axles ride better because the first wheel hits
a bump, but the second stays on the ground, momentarily at least.  Hopefully
by the time the second wheel hits the same bump the first wheel is already
over it.  Also, as previously noted, the tandems will carry more weight.
I've been told that single axle models can experience more sway problems
because they are acting on a single, narrower axis when pushed sideways by
wind etc.  The single axles are more manueverable backing up and turning, but
they take some time to get used to because the turn really quickly when
backing.

There are advantages to both.  My '71 31' double axle rode very smoothly.  My
'70 23' single axles bounces around more, especially on bad roads in PA.  We
have to be more careful of how we pack things inside.  It is a little tricky
to back up, but once you have the hang of it, it's easier than a double.