Re: [VAC] How to clean vegetable oil spilled on plywood?

Matt,

I doubt that there's a way to clean up the grease enough to get adhesive to
stick to it, so will suggest other routes.  I guess you've already started
laying the tiles, otherwise you could just put down a layer of 1/8" plywood
over all of the existing plywood sub floor.   (This could still be the
easiest alternative, even if you have to rip up what you've already put
down).

You might consider cutting out around the spot using a circular saw with a
small blade (like the Makita cordless, and others).   You'll need to make a
series of straight cuts, so you'll end up with an irregular polygon of some
sort.  I don't know how the flooring is fastened to the frame, others may
know and be able to advise whether this is a feasible option or not.  If it
is, put a couple of screw eyes into the waste piece to pull it out with, and
use the removed piece as a pattern to cut a replacement.   I'd cut the
replacement slightly small, and fill the void around the perimeter with
epoxy and sawdust.  Make sure that the replacement piece sits in the trailer
a day or two so that its moisture content is the same as the floor's.  If it
starts out dryer than the rest of the floor, it will expand, and if it's a
tight fit, this could cause real problems.

Or, you might take a router with a straight cutter and remove the grease
spot to a depth of only about 1/8" or 1/4", and set in a piece of plywood of
the proper thickness into the cavity (the Painless Dentistry Method).  You
could rout a wide outline plus a few passes through the area to be removed,
and use a chisel to take out the top plies of the floor.   If you want to
rout the entire grease spot, you'll probably want to start at the center and
rout your way out.

These suggestions might give you other ideas.  Before you pick any plan,
spend some time looking at the spot and thinking about your options and how
they'll play out.  Sometimes you'll discover a fatal flaw in the process,
which is better than finding out after you've gotten to the point of no
return.  Sometimes you'll think of a much simpler and easier solution than
those that first come to mind.   You also might decide to have a Plan A and
Plan B, knowing before you start when you'll have to abandon Plan A while
Plan B is still viable.   Good luck!

Don
'63 Avion T-20, S.O.A. (Son of Airstream)