Re: [VAC] Stuck Tambour Doors

Bruce, I have the same kind of large tambour door under the sink in my Argosy
28. I had a similar problem with mine too. I found that helping the door roll
into the circular tracks using my hand at the roll end to assist worked. There
is a cut out on the inside tracks (top & bottom) that are visible just before
the door is completely rolled fully open. You roll the door past this cut-out
and then gently reopen the door by-passing the main tracks and open inside to
the sink counter. Then you simply lever the fully deployed door out of the
opening. The back of my door was a porous cloth and I saturated it with epoxy
to refasten the battens that age and drying out had caused them to be not fully
attached. These loose battens caused my door to bind in the tracks. Before I
reinstalled the door I used a non-drying silicon type lubricant in the track
and spiral grooves. So far this has worked out OK for over two years. You
reinstall the door in a similar fashion as when you removed it. Sorry if this
whole message is unclear and complicated - but yes the door is removable and
repairable. Hope this garbled message helps somewhat.

from the Tin Tent, 1976 Argosy 28, in Ontario Canada