Re: [VAC] battery hazard

Gary:

I never heard of an Airstream or any other RV having a battery blow up.
Probably because they are contained in well ventilated compartments.

It is a FACT that Hydrogen gas is released from a lead acid battery
while it is being charged or discharged, in other words of not more than
one syllable, ALL THE TIME.

It is a FACT that when Hydrogen gas is in the presence of Oxygen it
forms a very, very volatile compound that will  cause a violent chemical
reaction while combining the H and O atoms to produce H2O. (water).
This reaction can be started by any spark or flame or any other source
of combustion available to act as a catalyst.

I have worked in the substation department of a large electric utility
(power company) for the past 30 years and because all electrical
substations run on battery power I have seen many batteries exploded.
Even when they are contained in a ventilated area.

I even had one explode in my pickup truck several years ago. I had been
in a hardware store and upon coming out I attempted to start the
engine.  When the start switch energized the starter motor it looked
like the whole front end of the truck tried to get up and run.  The
battery exploded knocking out a sizeable chunk of the right front grill,
destroying both head lamps on the right side and blowing the hood wide
open, as well as tearing the latch off and warping and bending it beyond
hope.

I've never heard of anyone dying from eating apple seeds either, but
that doesn't mean it can't happen because these seeds actually do
contain a deadly poison.

It's your life.  Gamble as you will.

Ed Griffith
West Monroe, Louisiana