Re: [VAC]Advice needed: Vinyl Interiors from the 60's

Alex,.........my 66 Tradewind Land Yacht TWLY, has the Vinyl coated
aluminum interior, and was badly stained.  A friend at BKRV, used a
heavy bleach and soapy water solution, with all the windows open, to
clean the interior, when it was gutted.  The bleach water cleaned the
sticky vinyl and whitened it up so the stains could no longer be seen.
Much of it looks new.  Cigarette smoke and airborne grease and water
vapor, among other pollutants, makes the vinyl sticky over time, and the
only thing that cleans it,  is bleach, a little soap and lots of EBG.
Some on this list rave about the new Citrus based cleaners. I think they
are a bit wimpy, compared to good old bleach.  Wear rubber gloves, and
open all the windows and vents, so you can breathe. Since the job is
'real work', you may have to pay your wife or a friend to help you.
Dinner at the Outback, would be a just reward.  Try it , and report back
with results.   Oh yeah,  the bleach will also kill all the fungus and
mildew that seems to enjoy the crevices of the vinyl.

Bill Scott
66 TWLY