Re: [VAC] Replacement for Taillights

Another thought on brake light lenses came to me as I was looking at
them on the hooks at a farm store and Walmart this afternoon. There are
stock lenses from 3 to 5" diameter for a couple bucks in those places.
When a bigger lens is needed it would be totally practical to find some
transparent red Plexiglass (made specifically to be a filter in front of
red LED displays, I suppose I might find a number if I looked up a piece
in my plastics box) that could be cut to the circle to fit the lens
opening and then have a hole cut to allow bolting one of the readily
available replacement lenses to do the focusing part. And these lenses
do focus so there is a right distance between the filament and the lens
for greatest beam candle power. The Plexiglass probably won't weather
really fine, though the red dye should help its longevity, but the piece
can be cut with a coping saw with a few holes whittled with the point of
a pocket knife... or proper drill bits though its best if they are run
slow.

Gerald J.