[VAC] Aqua-Magic IV

Howdy Folks:

This is intended to be a heads-up to anyone with a Thetford Aqua-Magic IV
toilet.  This unit has been used to replace the stock one.  It was in my
Safari when I bought it and I have been generally happy with its looks
and mechanics.  The problem is that early-on I had a freeze situation
when I didn't realize that draining down the water supply line to the
toilet still left water between the toilet isolation valve and the flush
valve on the back of the unit.  When it froze, the expanding water (ice)
blew apart the plastic flush valve.  It really posed no immediate problem
since a container of water could be kept near the unit for flushing.

When I got around to fixing the thing I really out-foxed myself when I
decided to leave the unit bolted and sealed to the floor (and tank) and
dismantle the unit at a joint located under the seat, secured with 6 or 7
screws. This was the start on an Odyssey that I won't go into except to
say two things:

1.  Don't ever do this!

2.  If you do, the unit comes apart like a cheap watch and launches parts
down into the holding tank.  Nuff said.

Somewhere along the line I contacted Thetford.  I made a certain
discovery about this unit and think that it is something to be shared
with other Aqua-Magic IV (and maybe other models, as well).

GQ '67 Safari