[VAC] RE: Fabric search

Welcome to the group:
     Based on 11 years of reupholstery experience and
dealing with everything from antique boats, motor homes,
travel trailers, and antique furniture I can guarantee
that an exact match will be darned near impossible to
find ( Someone will now email a supplier and pattern #).
My first suggestion is to pay a visit to a reupholstery
shop and see if you can match from one of their books. I
used to discount 25% on a straight purchase. Expect to
prepay if you find it. Vinyls are a little easier unless
it has an embossed pattern. Another approach is to call
some of the larger local warehouses and ask if they sell
closeout goods and if you could come by and look. Some
will and some won't. Then last but not least there are
some on-line fabric venders. Barrow has a nice site.
There are several nice automotive fabric sites on the
web. As I recall one is based in Oklahoma. If all else
fails send me a patch and I'll see what I can find.
     To obtain a sample of the fabric without destroying
the piece, unzip the zipper ( if it has one) and snip
from the zipper patch at one of the ends inside the cover
or along the zipper seam.    Next but not least let's
address a sanitation issue. One can save a lot of money
by not replacing foam in cushions or replacing
mattresses. I would definitely find a sanitizing service
if I plan on retaining any of the bedding materials or
cushions. TB can remain viable for a long time in dried
sputum --- an infected person sneezes on the sleeper sofa
?? or bed??. I had several severe eye infections from
removing old covers off foam cushions and the dust got in
my eyes.( In another life I was also a bacteriologist and
worked in a TB lab).
     If the foam is sanitized and you want to use it but
it has some gashes in it, a patch is easy. Go to the auto
store and buy a can of spray adhesive. Next get your
handy dandy electric carving knife and a block of foam.
Using your carving knife, cut as close as possible a
block out of the foam so that you have straight edges to
work with. Next cut a rough shape from your patching foam
that is at least 1/2" bigger than the opening to be
patched. Spray the adhesive on the area to be patched and
then jam the patch in. After it sets, take the knife and
carve excess off to match contours.
      I'll let someone else address the polishing issues.
Thanks! and happy restoring.

Gene