Re: [VAC] A Weighty Matter

I have 2 100 watt panels on a 31' AS. This is a 79 model and the
batteries are in compartments in the front of the trailer behind the
propane tanks. I just use Diehards from that unmentionable place.

My other AS is a 65 with the batteries in the rear like yours. I don't
use that trailer too much so I never considered solar panels for it.

Anyway, I am going to add two more 100 watt panels in the next
several months.  I think that I will not over charge the batteries.
With 4 panels I should get enough charge to run everything for as
long as 4 days with no sun.

Everything is a tv 70 watts, 12 various fluorescent light fixtures,
turned on and off as needed. usually at least two or three from sun
down to about 11 PM and again in the morning for about an hour.
A lap top computer and sometimes a printer both powered by a
UPS used as an inverter, the water pump, and a Yamaha keyboard.

Still,  I plan just to use the same batteries. The extra panels
will allow permanent mounting vs having to tilt toward the sun
every several hours.

Back in the early 80's I had a 28' double with two 75 watt panels
and RV batteries, no fluorescent lights. I was in West Texas
and was able to point the panels towards the sun off and on all
day. I only had trouble with the heater motor on cold days. with
no sun.

If you should decide to put the batteries in the side room by the
Univolt they really need to be vented. If I remember right, there is
a vent arrangement in that rear compartment that you have now.
Seemes there was a plastic cover for the batteries with a plastic
hose to a vent above the rear compartment door.

Dean