Re: [VAC] Awnings

Hi Fred,

You asked for ideas (message below).
If you decide to color coordinate with
your Bambi, blue and silver would look
like they belonged. Most Airstream
awnings have that as a basic starting
point. I'd try to avoid a lot of blue as
that makes it dark underneath when
sitting at a picnic table.

Adjustable poles can be found at most
any camping store, i.e. Eastern Mountain,
etc. You'll want ropes, stakes and a mallet.

Depth at 8' to 12' means another pole in the
middle on both sides and a ridge pole between
them. If it was me, I'd consider two tarps:
a smaller one for quick stops and a larger one
with ridge pole for when you'll stay a week.

Now if you want to get fancy, make sure the
width is the same size as the end fly on a baker
tent. Then you can use the same poles to hold up
both awning and fly while the baker tent faces
your Bambi.  It could be used with either the
small or larger awning and will provide vastly
more convenient outside living space in
foul weather.

One other point, get a fold up step stool so you
can thread the awning into the roof track when
you put up the awning. A 6' track is easy to thread.
Plus, IMHO it's far more satisfactory to do that
than Rube Goldberg straps to secure the awning
against the side wall permanently. The name of
the game is to avoid storing the awning wet.

This winter in Florida I have to fight mold and
mildew routinely. If we move on a rainy day and
I roll up the awning wet, then when I unfurl it at
the next campsite, the green gunk has already
begun to grow. When I ignore it (it's not all that
noticeable), the only path is for it to become
more noticeable the next time.

Enough ideas. Hope some of this helps,
Terry