Re: [VAC] Bathtub Faucet

Hi TEG,

I have a 1970 Overlander too that I've been giving TLC for for the past 30
years ........and it's better now than the day I got it!!   If water is
dripping (leaking) out of the faucet and not from around a fitting.......it
sounds like the washers on both your hot and cold shutoffs should be
checked and replaced BEFORE you start cutting any copper tubing.

There should be no real problem replacing the washers, they should be still
available at any good hardware store, just bring the shutoff with you so
you can check for the correct size.

I replaced the faucet in our Overlander about three years ago and had no
problem.  I think after 30 years faucets need to be replaced.  I got a
washer less faucet that was larger, taller and better looking that the
original one!  If you go this route, make sure the dimensions (distance
between the two lines) are the same, and there should be NO cutting of ANY
copper tubing in order to install a new faucet!  The ends of both copper
lines have female fittings attached that will simply screw onto the faucet.

The only problem in installing, is in the tight space you have to work in.
Access to the copper feeds and fittings is from the battery compartment.
You have to lie on your back....and OH WHAT A PAIN IT IS!!!  and do most of
the connecting by feel, as the space is small and dark.  I suppose if you
are a big man with large hands you'd have a much harder time making the
connections.

Hope this helps.

Steve Chop #6524  VAC
1970 Overlander