Re: [VAC] Insurance

My reading of the various posts on the insurance issue is that the common
concern is not under-insuring in order to save a few bucks. Rather, it
the difficulty of getting insurance *at any cost* that would cover the
cost of replacing our restored vintage trailers. If we buy an old AS for,
say, $5K and subsequently put $8K into
restoring/updating/improving/rehabbing/customizing it, then we'd like the
option of paying appropriately higher premiums in order to get those $
back in case of disaster.

In truth, I can see why insurance companies are reluctant to write such
policies. Scenario: you buy a $500 junker; declare its value at $10K and
pay an appropriately high premium--say $500--for the first year; then you
push it over a cliff: your $1k investment ($500 purchase + $500 premium)
has netted you $9K ($10k payout less the $1k investment). This is why
insurance companies want a solid, professional appraisal of *market*
value--not what it's worth to us personally, not what we'd *like* it to
be worth in the market, not even how much we actually spent on it.

As I see it, there are only two answers to this problem:

1) "self insure", à la Polly

2) find an appraiser who will give a good, high appraisal *and* an
insurance agent who is willing to accept such an appraisal. Good luck.

The big problem with the latter is the low market value of our units. Old
Airstreams have achieved a certain cachet in the past few years, but that
seems to not yet be reflected in their prices. Maybe in a few more years
they will have an established market value that will simplify this
particular insurance problem--but also, of course, make them harder for
us to acquire!

Rob