Re: [VAC] Re: air conditioner and a '61 Bambi

Hi gang, I'm back from F-burg, where a good time was had by most, and
the California contingent looked good and won the concourse.

I just had to chime in about Sissy's Air Conditioner, and others with
window A/C.

In terms of pure Ugliness, nothing much beats a window air conditioner,
stuck into an Airstream window with a Mickey Mouse frame, and lots of
gobbed on goop so the frame is sealed.   Further, it takes away the
purpose of the window, which is visibility, light, and ventilation.   I
have seen a few of those atrocities, in this neck of the woods  and in
Oklahoma.    Usually, there is also some ugly, cobbled-up frame of L
shaped channel, half-assed welded and bolted thru the aluminum.   Sorry
to be so descriptive, but to me,  those units win the prize for, "Most
Ugly".    I have only seen a few Air Conditioners mounted on top of
Bambi's, and they are definitely, out of place.  As RJ said, all that
weight has a tendency to make the top and frame, "Oil Can", as you drive
down the road.   What is the solution, for those that need A/C in hot
and humid climes?   I saw a Japanese made a/c that was tall and thin
that fit in the closet of Noland Vogt's 63 Bambi.  It was so nicely
installed, that it helped Noland win best of Show in Boise, and it
helped him sell it to an overseas investor for a pretty sum.   The best
A/C installation in a Bambi that I have seen was mounted under the
lounge on the roadside, behind the front drawer.  It is light weight,
5,000 btu, inexpensive, and very quiet.  The hot air from the condenser
can be evacuated thru a vent to the roadside or directed down thru the
floor.   The drawer can be removed when you want to use the a/c, and you
lose no space.   Overall, very slick and a clever installation.   You
can also use a "Cool Cat", but so far, the reviews are mixed on that
one.  They are good, but somewhat expensive and noisy.  Ask Roy Lashway.

For larger and newer Airstreams, a Duo Therm 'Penguin', 13,500 btu does
a fine job.   Coleman's also work well and are less expensive.

Have fun, keep cool, and unless you are being tortured, avoid at all
costs, those ugly window air conditioners.

Bill Scott
66 Tradewind w/ penguin