Re: [VAC] Taildrag & Book

Hi John, Others know more about Taildrag, or taildroop than I, but this is
what I have learned from this list. Taildroop is when the frame becomes
fatigued behind the axels and 'drops' down. This is most noticible at the
rear of the coach, where the frame seperates from the body. Because of this
frame drop the sheet metal bows out just behind the wheels. THERE IS A
FACTORY FIX  for this condition and costs about as much as a new RV
refrigerator. This condition mainly affects the 31 foot, rear bath models
made starting in 1973, when Airstream started adding gray water holding
tanks. Some people got in the habit of traveling down the road with
partially full holding tanks. This weight, consentrated at the rear of the
trailer while 'bouncing' down the road proved to be more than the frame
could handle, so it sagged. This condition is not limited to the 31 footers.
I have heard of it happening down to the 27 foot models. It is not confined
to '73 on, I have heard of it happening as early as '68. Once Airstream got
wise to what was happening they beefed up the frame. Once fixed the affected
trailer's frame should be better than new. I suspect that these
miscellaneous other sizes/years that have drooped have done so because of
overloading in the rear of the trailer and being towed too quickly on overly
rough roads. Perhaps they have also been repeatedly scraped against the
pavement while pulling in and out of driveways.

Hope this answers your question.

Scott