Re: [VAC] Taildrag & Book

I am beginning to believe there are at least two types of "tail draggers."
One shows up as a separation of the frame from the outer shell with a
telltale gap at the rear of the trailer and second type which shows up when
the interior partitions in the middle of the trailer, separating the kitchen
from the bedroom (on my 27 footer) starts digging into the overhead and pulls
away from the sides.

My 1974 27 foot, rear bath, has had some minor surgery to correct the first
problem-separation of the frame from the shell.  The fix consisted of cutting
two triangular openings just above the bumper and attaching wire ropes/cables
to the frame and then attaching them to the window sill of the rear window.
Tension is applied to the cables by tightening the bolts in the window sill
and the frame is pulled up.  On one side of mine, too much tension was
applied and is a dimple in one of the triangular "elephant ears."

The second problem, sagging of the frame over the tandem axles, has not been
fixed on mine.  Airstream says the condition has existed when they started
putting the black and gray water tanks in the rear as well as the battery.
The combined weight-expecially when the tanks are full-was more than the
frame could handle and bent the frame down.  The bulletin states these
reinforcements have been included in production models since 1982. This
bending of the frame also was translated into a stretching or bulging from
side to side over, in front and behind the tandem axles.  I cannot see a
bulge over the wheels when I sight down the sides but inside, one partition
has pulled away from the side by 1 1/4 inches on the road side and there are
similar gaps on the curbside.  The top of the partition is also digging into
the overhead.

To confirm this diagnosis, I applied upward pressure with two jacks on the
rear skid pads, not enough to lift the wheels but about 3-4 inches of upward
movement.  I went inside and the partition had pulled away from the overhead
and nearly returned to the sides.

Airstream bulletin #29 describes a fix for this condition.  It consists of
two plates, notched and pre-drilled to fit over the axles on both sides.
They won't sell to regular folks and you have to go through an Airstream
dealer or some authorized repair service.

I have seen estimates for the axle reinforcement fix ranging from $1200 to
$2,500.  I have also been told that a competent welding/machine shop should
be able to do the repair.  No doubt Airstream would also do it but I imagine
the price would be much more.