[VAC] Basement creation revisited

Hi Streamers,

Last October I asked about the feasibility of adding a
12 inch riser/subfloor to create a basement for my
Overlander.

Previous answers centered mainly around concern for
overloading the chassis and disturbing the balance of
the trailer.

Scott Scheuermann said he met a fellow who had flipped
the axle over on a '60 Overlander in order to increase
ground clearance for Alaska terrain.  Said it severely
unbalanced the trailer.

What I didn't clarify was that I intend to leave the
chassis and axle as currently configured.  I just want
to add a 12 inch subfloor on top of the chassis and then
place the frame on top of the subfloor.

I've got to replace the entire floor of my trailer
anyway, so I will be lifting the shell etc. etc.  Around
the new riser section, I will add a band of aluminum to
keep the look consistent, unless someone has a better
idea.

This riser section is also intended to allow dump
drains, batteries to be accessible through the side and
keep the belly as smooth and connected as possible.  The
subfloor will also be accessible from the inside where
feasible for a little extra storage capacity.

Will doing this make the beastie too heavy/unbalanced;
or will this innovation make all the other Streamers
jealous?

Jay L. Griffin [a.k.a. Jrnymn "Journeyman"]
http://homepage.dave-world.net/~jrnymn/jrnyindex.htm
  /  '--'       [ ] O  )   Overlander '56 26'
  :-----O O---------------^#6066 WBCCI / VAC