[VAC] condensation in northern climates

Someone mentioned they had condensation so bad it was dripping off of the vents on the inside in a northern climate.

I live in Seattle, WA and our '73  31ft is set up on a camping lot in Gold Bar on US-2 at the base of the Cascade mountains, on the West side, the rainy side.  This winter it has been in the 30's at night.  We try to go up every weekend. When we first moved the unit up there we also had lots of condensation. We also had a cold draft on the floors.  If you don't control the condensation some of it will drip behind the walls down to the floor and cause rot.  If you are using LP (propane) gas it puts out a lot of water as do humans. We found that if we opened the front and rear ceiling vents about one inch we would get very little condensation and then usually only at night.  To control the drafts I used paper lined r-11 insulation and stuffed it in the access doors under the bath and under the refer and the battery compartment. Under the refer I was carful not to block the vent screen in the belly pan or block air flow around the controls or coils of the refer.  just up the wall that separates the refer from the front room.  This made an incredible difference.  I also used a bubble insulation that is sided with foil (water heater dept. of Eagle hardware) and lined under the twin beds (center bath), especially the road side bed as the gray water tank is there and the water heater. We don't use the furnace as I haven't had it checked out yet. We use a catalitic heater in the front room turned on low with a small electric heater set on 65 degrees in the bedroom as a back up (we ran out of gas at 2am one morning).

Happy streaming,
Greg