[VAC] awning and whatsit

Still working on interior of '68 Caravel. Three questions:

1. Awning discussion brought a nagging question I have: How do you get the
awning out without a ladder? Ours is too high to reach from the ground. Do
people carry tall stools or use their tow vehicle to stand on or am I missing
something?

2. Inside the door to the right is a "fixture like" thing similar to a light
cover or a curtain rod cover. It is only about 6" wide and has a single track
underneath. What is it? What did it do/hold/cover?

3. Has anyone painted the vinyl covering on the fronts of cabinets? Mine is
mustard colored.

Any and all answers are appreciated.

Jaqque T