Re: [VAC] Backing the trailer

Hi Gerald,

I saw your comment, "The only trouble with a
long hitch bar is that it isn't as strong as the
short one."

That may be true. So far, my long hitch bar
(18") has held up for 21 years. Those years
included towing our '77 31' with a hitch weight
of 900 pounds and using1,000 pound spring bars.

Perhaps the long bar is getting close to the end
of its life or maybe it is mid life. Not having any
way to know, I'll just continue with my routine
inspections each time I hook up.

I love the fringe benefit of not marking up
the front of any Airstream and being able to
take any corner as sharply as needed.

The part of my hitch that needs relacement
most often is the trunions, even in spite of
following the guidelines by Mr. Reese. As
soon as they become egg shaped, I toss them.

Since using our '86 32' for the last two winters,
the hitch weight has been less and the trunions
have held up better. I suspect that means the
long hitch bar is getting less of a workout.

Thanks for your comments. They always prompt
me to scrutinize my previously held thinking.
It never hurts me to reconsider old assumptions.

Terry