Re: [VAC] Tradewinds question

Janis, in the 8 to 10K range, you can find a good used pickup with a 350
cubic inch engine, V8, and with the addition of a transmission cooler,
and good weight equalizer tow bars, you will be set to tow that  approx
4500 pound Airstream.  Improper choice of tow vehicles seems to cause
more problems than any other item discussed on this list.  Some people
on this list dream of being able to tow Airstreams with small cars and
baby pickups.   It can be done,............. if you want to stay in low
gear and go 25 to 35 miles per hour.  With todays higher speeds on all
the Interstate highways, and competing with 85 MPH 18 wheelers, having
an underpowered tow car, micro car, or little pickup, is just PURE
FOLLY.
For your safety, and the safety of others, find a good used pickup, 1/2
ton or larger, with a strong V8, and you will be happy.  Usually when I
take this stand, I always anger some one with a V6, or a car, that brags
about how well it tows.   It usually becomes obvious that this
individual is a flatlander, and has never pulled in California, or the
Rockies.   My next truck will probably be a 454 cu inch, or a new chevy
with the 364.

Good Luck,
Bill Scott