[VAC] Campground Directories

Hi Peter and Ann,

You asked about campground directories. Sherry suggested joining AAA and getting their Camp
Books for whichever states you plan to visit. We used to do that until one of the AAA
representatives asked me if I'd like all the Camp Books for all the states, all the maps for
all the states and all the Tour Books for all the states. At $45, it was a no brainer for this
Full Timer. I graciously accepted that offer. Since then, we renew our AAA membership every 2-3
years when the maps start becoming tattered.

If you like lakeside campgrounds, call Camping World and buy the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
Campground Guide. There are about 1,000 campgrounds listed in their book ($15). They are our
favorite type of campground. One of our goals is to visit all 1000 of their campgrounds in the
next 10 years. We're about 1/3 of the way, so far.

Your comment about "mostly traveling up and down the East Coast" prompts another suggestion.
Try to go to different places each trip. The more places you find and explore, the more
interesting will be the trip AND the more confident you will become about finding the next
campground, regardless of what time of day you left the last one.

That may not sound important, but delays can be caused by every imaginable variable, i.e.
mechanical break downs, storms, unpredictable events or just because you and your honey
overslept. The name of the game is to become very adaptable to a wide variety of circumstances
so you are consistently comfortable with your Airstream in tow. To accomplish that, give
serendipity and spontaneity free rein whenever your gut feeling says it's okay.

Airstreamers are famous for confidently going anywhere, anytime and always having a grand
experience.  You have a Vintage Airstream which makes you all the more uniquely qualified to
live a lifestyle where freedom to explore the continent is your middle name. Let life be an
adventure. You know all about that -- you're from Maine.

Enough already!
Terry & Sandie

PS -- The bigger the Campground Directory and the more advertising there is in it, the more
expensive is the per night cost to stay in those campgrounds. Start keeping your own 4x6 card
file of all the campgrounds you've found and make notes about your experiences at them.