Re: [VAC] Mid-Cities Honda Generator Models

Dave,
 If you want to charge batteries only, you don't need a large generator,
but you DO need a charger made specifically for recharging deep-cycle
batteries. Conventional chargers (or the alternator in your car, for
that matter) will take hours and hours to fully recharge batteries that
are down a ways, say more than 50% discharged. StatPower makes suitable
battery chargers for this purpose.

If you're frugal with your usage, a solar panel or 2 might be a better
choice. Sherry uses a very small panel, but her usage patterns might be
painful to you. (frugal is her middle name!) We have a single panel
that's about 21" X 48" and can be seen at
http://www.oldengine.org/members/jdunmyer/airstream/ All of our light
fixtures are flourescents, and we use a 5" TV, so our usage is quite low
and this single panel easily handles our needs. Use of an inverter so
you can operate a microwave oven, etc. will require significantly more
power input, to the point where you might want 3 or 4 panels like mine.

                        <<Jim>>