[VAC] Re: Scratch removal thoughts

Another newbe is providing his first time input to the group.

I have been removing the paint from a 1978 Argosy Minuet (20'), to make it
into an Airstream look alike.  I found some good and some bad panels under
the paint. In some places the factory put Bondo over shallow dents, but
roughed up the aluminum surface as a preparation.  They must have used a
fairly course grit paper, I would guess 80 or 100.  Lots of scratches. The
low spots they were filling were minor in my opinion, but  in repairing them
they did ruin the aluminum surface.  Of course they were going to paint it
anyway. I finally found that plastic steel wool in 0 grade, followed by more
plastic steel wool in 000 grade, followed by "heavy duty" rubbing compound,
followed by Met-All did a credible job.  The plastic steel wool was from Wal
Mart, and made by 3M. It looks like Scotch Brite if you are familiar with
that.

Although I have some questions about the ethics of making an Argosy into an
Airstream, it is titled as an Airstream, and the manufacturing plate lists
Airstream inc. as the manufacturer, not Argosy.  My 1974 Argosy is titled as
an Argosy, and was made by Argosy inc.

I would be glad to provide more details on my experiences with paint removal
in a private e-mail.  rballen@camasnet.com

Bob Allen