[VAC] '53 Models

Hi Jim,

I finally found my 1953 Airstream sales brochure reprint with the
information that you were seeking.

15' Cruisette
18' Clipper (which was a holdover from the late '40's with the pipe frame)
21' Flying Cloud
24' Cruiser
32' Liner (tandem axle)

However I also have heard that the Safaris and Globetrotters were
manufactured in 1953 although they are not listed in this brochure.

The brochure also has a couple of pages of SPECIFICATIONS, here are just
a couple of them,

Undercarriage of all models (except Clipper and Liner) was 3" light
weight channel steel in an A-frame with cross members of 1-1/2" angle
welded together.  The Liner has 4" channel.  The undercarriage frame
assembly was built by Howard Ward.

The floor is 5/8" plywood with 1-1/2" spun glass insulation fastened to
the underside of the plywood.  The under belly is closed in with
aluminum sheeting and an additional 5" of dead air space between the
underbelly and floor.

The bows were hydraulic and hand formed channel of the same hardening
aluminum alloy used in aircraft.  The exterior skin was Mil spec'd with
genuine 24ST clad.  The alcad has a protective coating of pure aluminum
on the outside.

The interior skin is aluminum alloy, painted to the customer's choice of
light pastel green or buff.  Any color can be obtained at additional
cost.  This color has been selected by Hollywood technical color experts
as the easiest on eyes and emotion.

This is probably more than you ever wanted to know!

Tom H.
'53 Flying Cloud