Re: [VAC] lock

Brian:

   I had the same problem on my 1956 22' A/S, but solved it by just
unscrewing the 12 (or so) sheetmetal screws that held the storage compartment
door hinge to the trailer.  The door hinge is on the outside of my trailer,
so when it was detached the whole door came off.  I then removed the lock
cylinder from the door and took it to a locksmith to have keys made for this
original cylinder.   This may not work if the hinge to your storage
compartment door is on the inside of the trailer.  If the storage compartment
door is riveted on your trailer, drill out the rivets and replace them with
pop rivets after the lock cylinder has been keyed or changed.

    Keying the original lock cylinder worked better for me than installing a
replacement lock cylinder because the original fit better than the
replacement cylinder which, due to a different shape of the outer edge, left
a small gap between it and the cylinder housing.     Hope this helps.

Fred in Denver
1956 22'  ??