Re: [VAC] Elctrical Info

Jim,

Neither the new Hubbell connector nor the old one is color coded.  The screw
terminals on the new one are labeled "X" "Y" & "Z."  On the old one they're
"GR" "B" & "C."  I figure "GR" means ground ( or green), except that it's
the only terminal on the new plug that's silver.  I went ahead and put the
green wire into the one corresponding to "GR" anyway.  Then I figured "C"
meant "common" or neutral, so I put the white wire on that one.  That left
"B" for black, and luckily I had a black wire left to put into that
terminal.  Also, once I connected the green wire, the other two naturally
went into these terminals without twisting them around each other--(may not
be a good indicator, but it was convenient).

I don't know if I got it right or not, but I have a plan to test it.  Since
it's really a pain to park anywhere near my house to hook up to 120v, I'm
going to connect the cord to my inverter using a 15-amp adapter plug, and
connect the twist-lock to the old SOB.  Then I'll check the outlets in the
trailer for the right polarity using one of those LED outlet testers and/or
my multi-meter.

The plug is new old stock, and I don't think they have any more like it with
directions.  When I saw that Camping World wanted over $100 for a 25-ft cord
with a Hubbell plug, I decided to make a 30-ft one myself for about $40 in
parts.  Good thing my time is cheap...

Don