Re: [VAC] broken window

Peter,
Interesting to know you can order a window from Airstream, even though it's
not glass.

 After hearing your story we decided to go the make-it-yourself route. First
we made a template of the window out of fairly thick acetate. Then took off
the vertical strip, had to drill out a plug that held the attachment for the
window guard.  Then straight bit of window frame was exposed and it would
lift off all but in the corners, turned out it was screwed through from the
outside in the corners, had to drill those out.

 We used Polycarbonate 1/16" thick, supposedly it won't break ( they had us
hit the 1/8" stuff with a hammer at the store) but will discolor after time
due to UV exposure, cut it to shape with the band saw, put the old window
gasket on it (after taking all the broken glass out of it, of course). Then
we slid the whole thing in, chalked the corners good and put the metal strip
back on.

It will get us through then winter, though we'll watch close for leaks. We
might see if we could order just the Plexiglas from Airstream. Or go to a
slightly thicker polycarbon like 3/16 with a UV protector, a special order
thing. New window gasket material would be good to.

Not bad for $9.16. and an afternoons work.
Thanks for your help, we'd probably still be scratching our heads without
your experience, guess it was the cutting the hole bigger part that really
scared us.

ERIN & ARNIE
'72 Tradewind