Re: [VAC] Hitch Replacement on Pipe Frame - Suggestion

My 1950 18 footer has the pipe frame and the trailer hitch welded to the pipe
frame.  Elisa, is your hitch damaged beyond repair?  If so, or even if just
questionable, it should be replaced with a similar hitch.  Mine hitch has
straight (parallel) sides as opposed to a "Y" shape like the hitch for "A"
frames.  A trailer sales company or farm store (Agway still around?) may have
these hitches.  They are pretty common.
Use your old one as a sample.

Between the front of the trailer body and the front leg, my trailer has a
piece of "C" channel open-face-down welded perpendicular across the pipe
frame to hold the propane bottles.  There is another piece of slightly
smaller channel or angle iron welded at 45 degrees to both the pipe frame to
the crosspiece which braces everything. My cross channel only has room for
propane bottles side by side.  There is no room for a spare tire there either
behind or in front of the bottles due to the relatively short length of the
pipe forward of the trailer body.

It may be a little tricky to weld the hitch into the pipe frame, but a decent
local welder should be able to do that work.  I'd leave the old hitch on
there and have the trailer flatbedded to him, or have the welder come to the
trailer.  He can then see how the factory attached the original hitch and
duplicate that method with the new hitch.

The welder might use a grinder with a cutting disc to cut the old welds once
he sees how everything originally was welded.  I use my rebuilt 4" Makita
grinders and thin cutting discs for many chores around the house.  I even cut
angle iron with the little 4" grinders, as I do not yet own a chop saw.
Whatever your foot size, these little 4" grinders make great stocking
stuffers.  'Tis the Season is coming up.

This past weekend I removed a mangled propane bottle bracket that was welded
to my 1956 trailer by cutting through all the welds with the cutting disc,
removing the bracket with a small sledge hammer and cold chisel, then
grinding the "slag" off of the frame with a 4" dia. grinding disc.  Some
Rustoleum brand aluminum spray paint freshened-up the front end of the
trailer very nicely.  Wally wouldn't be blinded by this repair, but he'd be
proud.

Fred in Denver