Subject: Re: [VAC] 7-pin wiring diagram WAS:turn signal short?
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 18:09:42 -0600
From: "Don Horn" <donhorn@mindspring.com>
To: vintage@airstream.net

Rich,

Below is a message that Charlie Burke sent recently showing the color codes
Airstream used.  Note that if you matched the colors of the trailer wires to
the colors marked on a new trailer plug, you got it wrong, since the
standard has changed.   Decoding his message, if you hooked up blue to blue,
you've got the charge line hooked up to the brakes.

Your new tow vehicle plug should have a diagram indicating the color and
function for each pin, which should help.  Just remember that the trailer
side is a mirror image of the tow vehicle side.

I'd try checking your work against the color codes Charlie sent, and if that
doesn't clear it up, start testing each pin individually for correct
function and/or shorts.

Don
----------
>From: Charlie/Betty Burke <burke@micron.net>
>To: airstream@airstream.net
>Subject: Re: [a/s] Plug wiring diagram
>Date: Thu, Jul 8, 1999, 8:56 PM
>
> A word of caution about the wire color code for your 70 Airstream. The
code
> Airstream followed from 1966 through 1981 was not the current industry
> standard code. In particular the blue was not the brake control line. This
is > the code for those years:

> White = ground
> Black = back up lights
> Yellow = brakes
> Blue = charge line
> Red = left turn and stop light
> Brown = right turn and stop light
> Green = tail light and markers
>
> Now having said that, if you are going to plug into a tow vehicle that is
> wired to the current standard you will have to switch three wires in the
> trailer plug to maintain compatibility. This is particularly fun will
sitting in a campground making an adapter to haul another members '76 home
when their tow vehicle died. Hoping not to confuse, here are the changes.
Keep in mind the plug is labelled on the back by color not function.