Re: [VAC] shocking story

Angela, here's my 2 cents worth.

On my '60 there is a bulb that lights up when the polarity is reversed. This
had to be checked every time we plugged the trailer in because the power
cord (or perhaps the extension cord) did not have a 3 pronged plug. If the
light came on we knew that we had to unplug the cord, turn it 180 degrees
and plug it back in. In order to "fix" the problem (not wanting to check the
light every time) we removed the plug and replaced it with a three pronged
plug. BUT we did not have a ground!!! DANGER WILL ROBINSON! We finally
recognized the error in our ways when the cord wore out--we would get the
tingling sensation, and the light would come on, even when the polarity was
correct. We now have power cords with ground wires, and have changed the
plug to a more modern type (30 amp I think). We have had no further
problems, but it is still a good idea to check the light (located in a
closet at the main power box) every time you plug in because the campground
may have electrical problems.

Scott Scheuermann
1960 Overlander