Re: Streamline Travel Home

[ Follow Ups ] [ Streamline Message Board ]

Posted by Tom Patterson on March 16, 2001 at 00:19:34:

In Reply to: Re: Streamline Travel Home posted by Al Cottler on March 26, 2001 at 10:10:04:

Al,
It looks like I am probably looking at a drum brake for the driveshaft, and likely one that bolts on to the rear end. My unit does not have the levers, etc. required to operate the service brakes mechanically. To install them would involve a major change out. Big trucks use the transmission mounted drum brake on the drive shaft, but the C6 transmission on my unit does not have provision for bolting on a parking brake. Therefore, this will not work without a new transmission, or at least a new transmission housing. It does look like there is provision for a drum brake to attach to the rear end though, and once the motor is back in the unit, I plan to take it to Ford to see what can be done. Right now, they say that they are not aware of any brake that would bolt on to the rear end, although it is a Timkin rear end used by Ford.
I e-mailed the son of the previous owner with a question as to where the orignal parking brake might have been mounted, and he thought that likely it was on the original transmission. He did suggest a "Mico" hydraulic brake, but I don't much like the suggestion. You would be using the same hydraulic system, and the same service brakes. If one system failed, then both probably would.
I don't know how long this would take to stop the unit, but if the large trucks use such a system, then I would think that it would work for me. Bear in mind that I don't seem to have any other choice right now, and that I do need a parking brake to get past the safety inspection so as to license the unit.
The good news is that the rebuilt motor should be back next monday, so we are making progress towards getting my unit back in service. The delay has been that this particular 460 is not exactly stock. The cylinders have been overbored, and the camshaft is not the regular one, meaning parts have been a little hard to find. (I thought it had a lot of power - now I know why!)

Follow Ups:

HWForums.com Message Forums
Copyright © 2001 HighWired Internet Innovations Inc. All rights reserved.