Re: Streamline Travel Home

[ Follow Ups ] [ Streamline Message Board ]

Posted by Al Cottler on March 21, 2001 at 18:03:15:

In Reply to: Re: Streamline Travel Home posted by Tom Patterson on March 20, 2001 at 19:27:21:

I was looking around on the brake topic, and it came to me that one could easily build up their own driveshaft disc brake.
Bracket: rear disc brake conversions use a simple steel bracket that attaches where the old backing plate did. Easy to fabricate. Would attach to studs/bolt on diff case.
Caliper: Pick one of your choice, common, cheap. Some (cadillac?) have levers for e-brake actuation.
Actuation: with a lever, rig up a cable to existing handle assy. If no lever, use a master cylinder. Mount cylinder at rear, make cable acutated lever. I'd consider mounting the cylinder up front where its easy to get to, perhaps directly actuated by handle, or with a lever and cable.
Disc: The only hard part. The parking brake units seem to attach the disc to the yoke somehow, but I am not clear on this. See: http://www.ecihotrodbrakes.com/mechanical_parking_brake_system.html
A machine shop should easily be able to make the needed holes. Some disc applications are just the disc, not the whole hub.
It looks like maybe the disc mounts on the same bolts as secure the bearing caps. If so, the machinist should be able to make these holes easily with the yoke in hand.
Hmmm...that would mean getting the yoke off. I don't know about that. Yokes are not expensive, maybe just get a new one for the new disc.

OTOH, time may be money, and the $325 they want is not too bad if it would fit. Have to think about this myself.
-Al.

Follow Ups:

HWForums.com Message Forums
Copyright © 2001 HighWired Internet Innovations Inc. All rights reserved.