The Silver Streak E-mail List

[SilverStreak] Wiring in a 1975 sstreak

It is time to think about this problem I have been having.

The power to my panel in the kitchen is not working. From there it
powers the water pump, which is not working.

Background: I had missing ground problems in some of the 12 volt
connections; inside the television cabinet particularly. I made a new
ground to the aluminum ribs inside the wall for that location. Then I
installed a new powered winegard antennae. The wall plate needs 12 volts
and the simplest way to supply that was to go 4 inches thru the wall to
the panel, so I spliced into the heavy duty supply lines there. The 12
gauge pos and neg lines which bring power to the gauges and the water pump.

Ok, that worked, but then the antennae power supply burned up. Shorted
out. Strange, but I did not make a causative connection to the power
supply. After a while I put in a new antennae power supply.

Then the antennae power would quit when the water pump came on. This
happened a couple of times before my brain started working. There is no
ground any longer to the panel, therefore to the water pump and the
antennae power supply.

Ok, I look inside the electricity compartment on the right behind the
wheels. The ground wire from the panel (still labeled, original wire) to
the antique DC converter (which I only use as a distribution buss; I
have a solid state smart battery charger supplying current) is 16 gauge,
while the ground leaving the panel is the proper 12 gauge.

Somewhere in there the big ground wire going into the wall from the
panel changes over to a small wire. White wires, for ground/negative.

I have to trace these wires. Has anyone tried pulling wires? I am
thinking of pulling some wood from the right side wheel well under the
bed to see which way that wire goes.

Figuring out where the wire from the panel goes is difficult. Do they go
up over the top? Or under the floor?

The trailer is in storage now, at New Orleans RV park. Paying too much
but there is no place to park a trailer at my house.

Oh, I have a 1999 F250 7.3 diesel supercab for sale. With a pacbrake
exhaust brake, new 5 ton frame hitch receiver AND a Reese fifth wheel. 2
wheel drive, four new Remington tires. Heck of a Thunderkitten but I
don't need it now. Only 190,000 miles. I've put 4,000 on it and changed
the oil once.