The Silver Streak E-mail List

[SilverStreak] Torsion axle

I just replaced the axle on my 68 Sabre with a Dexter torsion Axle.
The suspension seems better dampened than the old leaf spring set
up.  I decided to upgrade when I saw the tires on my trailer were too
low of a capacity, and the steel wheels were unmatched.  One bad
thing led to another, like damaged spindles, missing bearing sleeves
etc., and part were hard to come by.  I paid $500.00 for the axle
and $325.00 for the install.  New forged 16" alloys were about
$100.00 each and new 16" Michelins ran $175.00 ea. at Costco.  I had
hot spindles on my first drive and suspect the bearing were over
tightened from the factory.  Once I get that sorted out, I would feel
comfortable tooling down the road at 65-70 mph.  It is easy to forget
that the original axle is 40 years old.  The new axle came with 12x2"
brakes and an easy lube spindle - although time permitting, I would
have preferred sealed bearings.
Steve Shaw