The Silver Streak E-mail List

[SilverStreak] Re: Rivets, rivet nuts

Just picked up a rivet nut setter with several sizes of nuts (1/4"-20, 10-32,
8-32, 6-32) for $30 at a tool supply in Spokane. It was from Taiwan.
My pickup has a couple of 1/4"-20 steel rivet nuts in the doors for the
rearview mirrors. Never seen them aftermarket. The other holes for the mirrors
had loose nuts that fell inside the doors when I removed the mirrors. Just
drilled the holes out to 3/8" for the 1/4" rivet nuts and reinstalled the
mirrors.
I bought a rivet nut setter and nuts some years ago but didn't have it when I
needed it, so had to buy a new one. Now I've 2 of them. Maybe.

I've also used pop rivets for rivet nuts. Just set the rivet, knocked the pull
pin stub out the back of the rivet with a pin punch, then tapped the hole of
the pop rivet with a machine screw thread tap. Worked great for the small size.
Works with either steel or aluminum pop rivets. Use tapping fluid to reduce
torque on the pop rivet so it won't turn in the hole in the sheet metal while
tapping. When drilling the hole in the sheet metal, leave the edges burred a
little for a better bite of the pop rivet to the sheet metal.

For higher stress applications on thin sheet metal, if you can get to the back
side of the sheet metal, you can put a reinforcing washer on the rivet nut where
it protrudes through the sheet metal. Just make sure the total thickness isn't
too much for the rivet nut.
Al

-- "Eddie" <Eddie@Huffstetter.com> wrote:

Ralph,
I cannot say enough good things about the rivet nut and the tool guy who makes
them. You will be so pleased with him and his product. I urge you to simply call
him. Please express to him my accolades. The nut and tool provided a superb way
to fasten mirrors onto both of my Streamline Motor Homes. The nut mush's out on
the backside. You still have to accept you are tightening a bolt in soft aluminum
threads, but they are really tough, and many times better than a self drilling
type of fastener in sheet metal.
-Eddie-
Houston, TX