The Silver Streak E-mail List

[SilverStreak] Re: Airstream & Silver Streak

"Triple axle on this '34 would be nice, as would disc brakes. Etc.
>> I had a triple axle stock/heavy equipment trailer and presently have a triple
axle cargo trailer. I didn't like the stock trailer's axle setup. It was hard on
tires.
>> It has 3 3500# axles shod with 50 psi load rage C tires. When cornering or
maneuvering it looks like the front and rear axles' tires are about to be peeled
off the rims. I can even see the wheels (and, I suppose, the spindles) flexing!
Recently when towing this trailer loaded near capacity (10,000# on the axles) I
could feel how hard the 1T, 454, 4.10:1 tow truck had to pull to drag it around
in a parking lot.
>> I was much more favorably impressed with my 40' Spartanette, which has 2
5,600# axles. It towed well with a 3/4T 4WD Ford diesel pickup and a 1T Chevy,
350 Vortec, 3.73 (I think), van. It was not hard to pull around turns and even
when a wheel came apart, blowing the tire out (an incorrect wheel, a Chevy car
wheel) it didn't sway or jerk around. This was when the Spartanette was somewhat
overloaded with our furnishings in it."

My S/S is overburdened on the rear axle, and a triple axle set-up (preferably with
more suspension travel

alleviate this.  As to tires, I went to a commmercial duty YOKOHAMA with a tread 20%
narrower than Goodyear Marathons and

of 15% heavier construction.  I have had it cranked over on brand-new scored concrete
(the toughest test) and the sidewall looked almost normal.

Tire selection matters, here.

I have no "problem" per se, with conventional leaf-sprung axles, but they can use some
help (panhard rods, probably) to make them more effective. I doubt I  can change
the weight balance problem, and would prefer to able to spread the load across six
versus four tires.