The Silver Streak E-mail List

Re: [SilverStreak] towing

Ken,
Well, ya got the right truck! I did not intend to suggest never using a sway
control. I just have never needed it since towing the trailer with the motor
home. I carry it on every trip, just in case I don't have complete and total
stability, but like you I use an F350 diesel dually crew, and I have just
never had the first inkling of a problem. I have towed a 48 Vagabond from
13,500 feet out of Kremling Colorado to Houston. In route out of Lubbock,
sudden flat line winds were so harsh with heavy rains, I saw several semi's
and motor homes laying on their sides. I watched one semi and a motor home
behind it that had pulled to a stop, blow over as I approached all sitting
still. They were blown over from the shoulder, into the driving lane which
was against the shoulder lean. I had to steer out of my lane to go around.

Scary beyond description, I made the decision to not stop and get blown
over. I completed 80 miles in this at 20 mph, never finding a structure or
overpass to huddle behind. My F350 and the Vagabond never swayed the
slightest. I had not used the sway bar. Admittedly my long bed was heavy
with tool boxes, tires, jacks, and lot's of equipment. Maybe that made a
difference too. Maybe keeping moving was the key to keeping in a wind that
varied. I will never know, but I was determined that I was not going to do
like so many, and just stop and be blown over. That was not working for
anyone sitting still that I passed ever so slowly to go only 80 miles in
four hours with almost zero visibility. It was a harrowing four hours of
constantly making a decision not to stop. I am sure every experience comes
with choices that have to be made and decisions that may never be clear and
decisive.
-Eddie-
Houston, TX