The Silver Streak E-mail List

Re: [SilverStreak] Split ring

You're right, Eddie.
One might find a farm implement shop that will work on them as they work on a
lot of old equipment, but split ring or lock ring wheels are totally obsolete
and illegal for new installation.
I bought an old pickup truck some years ago that had splits on it and when I
went to get new tires from Les Schwab I had to get new well rim wheels at the
same time (I wanted them anyway).
For those who are keeping original for show purposes, split rings are not hard
to work on. The ring pops right off with the proper prybar and the tires slip
off and on the wheel. As long as the ring is not bent or warped, like from
running on a flat, and the rim where the lock ring groove is not dented, splits
work well as they did for decades. Still, it is imperative that the tire be
inflated inside a cage just in case something goes wrong.
Modern tires should not be inflated until the wheel is mounted on a tire changer
or on the hub. When initially inflating a tire a lock-on air chuck should be used
so the mechanic can stand back away from the tire.
I had a bicycle tire come off the rim while inflating it (defective tire bead)
and the blast left my ears ringing for a while. The blast of air knocked me off balance!
Antique trucks for show keep their splits. There are some who work on them.

Al

-- "Eddie" <Eddie@Huffstetter.com> wrote:

Ralph,
Your incorrect. No tire dealer will work on split rims.
-Eddie-
Houston, TX