The Silver Streak E-mail List

Re: [SilverStreak] Split ring

Al,
No, I was wrong. It does not matter really. The topic is only applicable to
small tires on old trailers and vintage vehicles. Split rims do exist today
on machinery and huge trucks. Those are serviced by industry vendors. The
only correctness is about use on old trailers. Within that application, it
would be unlikely to find any services, especially on a trip. Mostly I like
what Tom has done and hope to one day also have, the pretty aluminum rims
like his, on my Streamline and now have on my SS.

Most people here are not going to change their own tires on any rim. I know
I avoid that especially since the service has no cost with the purchase of a
tire. The only issue was if a typical retailer would service a tire on a
split rim. The answer is not likely or no. I cannot speak for every shop in
America.
-Eddie-
Houston, TX